Thursday, November 15, 2012

Rustoleum Paint and Primer in One

I've been reading rave reviews by bloggers for the spray paint made by Rustoleum, called Universal Advanced Formula Satin Paint & Primer In One. Because I had several projects in mind, I bought a can of white at Home Depot today.

Project #1: change my three-decades-old antique brass table lamps from aging brass to...something. White? Black? Oil Rubbed Bronze? I couldn't decide, so I figured white could easily be painted over, and besides, I wanted white for another project. 

One old brass lamp. They were never that shiny brass, and they look even more aged now than they did way back when we bought them. Easy, easy spraying project: no primer, no sanding, just wrap up the electricals and spray away. 

One new white lamp. Well. I'm not so sure I like it white. I'm thinking oil rubbed bronze is more my style, and I think we need more contrast against the pale lemon walls. So I may go black (Rustoleum) or oil rubbed bronze (Krylon). Please excuse the shade. I'm very tired of these granny shades. I want drum shades but I can't find white or light ones when I have the $$$. 

Project #2: Old cork bulletin board to new, refreshed bulletin board Job-Tracking System above the Professor's desk. We hope and expect the jobs will be visible now and therefore actually get done before two years go by. Sorry, I was so overly enthusiastic to begin painting the old cork that I forgot to take a "before" shot. As you can see, it's just a standard, Walmart variety, wood-framed cork board.

So, how did I like the paint? 

At first I wasn't impressed. I couldn't figure out how to make it spray (Duh. Slide the little red band UP and off the nozzle. Up arrows mean UP, not down.) Then it spit globules amongst the spray. But, miraculously, the globs all evened out and it looks smooth and perfect. After two projects, I can say that I really like-like-like this paint. I'm sad that it's nearly twice as much as my old Krylon from Walmart, but sometimes I will want to splurge on this paint with primer.

No comments: