Sunday, February 6, 2011

Birthday Dessert

I created this chocolate mousse tort out of my desire to use up some of my freezer stash. I had an angel food cake loaf, purchased on clearance last fall, that really needed to be used up. With a birthday party tonight, I thought it was a perfect time.

I used my old stand-by chocolate mousse recipe and spread it between thin layers of cake. More mousse slathered on the sides and top, and it was done. The cake softened a bit in the refrigerator.

I always have trouble getting the melted chocolate to be smooth once I mix it with the beaten egg whites. That's what the dark lumps are in the mousse. But it still tastes good!

3 comments:

Carol Noren Johnson said...

I would think the frozen nature of the cake could help you spread the layers before it thawed. Looks good.
Carol

Adie said...

Actually, Carol, it was well-thawed before I got to the point of slicing the cake and spreading the mousse. But it was still very easy to spread, without the typical crumb problem of layer cakes.

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Yum, Grace!
Thank you for saying hello to me--so nice to meet you.
Grace is my favorite word, though.
HUGS and blessings to you as you make your home!
~me
P.S. I just finished homeschooling (the teaching for school credits part last month), my baby (16 year old) is now in a Charter School. She loves it, we love it.
My other daughter, is a Sophomore in college, and I homeschooled her 11 years, so I homeschooled 13 years, total...just something I had in common with you- :)