Saturday, October 31, 2009

End-of-Summer Sewing

I did a couple of quick sewing projects at the beginning of the month, just before we went on vacation. We were headed to the tropics, so I made two cool cotton skirts. The white one is made from a piece of fabric I have had for years; it has a woven-in floral design. I have used the pattern several times before; it is one of my current favorites because I like the way the inset triangular godets give fullness to the hem while keeping the waist and hips more fitted.

The blue tropical print is a remnant I bought on summer clearance. The pattern for this one (Butterick 3134) I had never used, and, after tweaking it, I really love the style and fit. It has 8 gores, which flare out at the hem, but not as full as a trumpet hem. (Please pardon the hair; we had just been snorkeling.)

1 comment:

Carol Noren Johnson said...

I hesitate to sew gored skirts because of all the fabric involved, but they do make sense. Remember those awful skirts we used to wear with gathering at the waste?