Thursday, August 21, 2008

Birthday For Three

I made an ice cream cake to celebrate three birthdays last night. Each birthday kid had a go at blowing out the candles, same candles, one after the other. The candles were little stubs after #3.

For the cake, I pressed a half gallon of soft vanilla ice cream into the bottom of a 9x13 pan, then returned it to the freezer. Later, I popped the ice cream out of the pan, then I baked a chocolate cake in the same pan. A few hours before serving the cake, I stacked the cake on the ice cream and then I frosted the whole thing with sweetened whipped cream (16 0z). I stored it in the freezer until cake time.

We all liked it, but next time I would use a full gallon of ice cream because the ice cream layer was too thin in proportion to the cake layer. Also, I didn't let it sit out long enough before I tried to put the candles in. I had to drill holes using those little plastic flower candle holders that sometimes come with birthday candles.

No comments: