Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Recycled Towels

Living in Europe several years back, we got hooked on using wash mitts instead of washcloths. I have had two mismatched hand towels rattling around in my linen closet. Combine the two facts, and it's an easy jump to decide to turn the unused towels into needed wash mitts.
I used one of our European wash mitts as a pattern. The larger towel, with yellow trim, was large enough to make three wash mitts. The smaller, all-white towel made two wash mitts.

I cut the yellow bottom binding off to reattach as bottom binding on three of the mitts.
My serger complained a bit, but made it through the seams. It makes a very nice finish for ravelly terry cloth.
Attaching the trimmed binding: I simply folded the trim in half and serged it, right sides together, to the raw edge of the mitt. The two all-white mitts use the already-bound edge from the towel.
Five new wash mitts, ready to use.

1 comment:

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

This is a wonderful idea! I just found your blog randomly...thank you!
~cheers~
Angie