Monday, July 7, 2008

Veggie-Cheese Soup

Vegetable-Cheese Soup
I made this unusual soup yesterday. It's yummy! I based it on Broccoli-Cheese Soup, something I make frequently in the winter.

Broccoli-Cheese Soup
2 T butter
11/2 T flour
1 can chicken broth
leftover cooked broccoli, maybe a cup or so
a pinch of oregano
a squirt of Dijon mustard, optional
a dash of pepper
1-11/2 c shredded cheese

Melt butter or margarine, stir in flour, cook for a few minutes. Slowly whisk in broth, stirring until it starts to thicken and boil. Toss in broccoli and herbs. Heat. Use immersion blender to puree, or pour into standard blender and puree. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth.

To turn that into Vegetable-Cheese Soup:
Use any leftover veggies you have. I used a little broccoli, some cooked carrots, about a tablespoon of onion, and a bit of tomato juice drained off a can of diced tomatoes. I also ditched the chicken broth and used about a cup of leftover canned milk with about 3/4 cup water. And I forgot the mustard. I had a tiny bit of leftover shredded mozzarella cheese, to which I added some shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments: