Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Homemade Bread Day

Time to clean out the refrigerator and use up all the little bits. Leftover pancake batter, barley flour (that was a mistake; I accidentally ground barley instead of whole wheat kernels), and some aging sourdough starter, blended together in my big ceramic bowl; it sat on the counter to work its magic all night. This afternoon I enjoyed the smell of bread baking in the warm kitchen. It is a nice contrast to the chill of outdoors on this gloomy day as we await the possibility of an ice storm. Or snow storm. Oh! Just as I write I see giant fluffs of snow falling outside my window! Briefly ~ they are gone now. No matter; the warm bread is homey anyway. My next cooking projects will involve sweet potatoes, a tiny bit of beef broth, lemonade, chocolate icing, and rice. But not all in the same dish! Then the refrigerator will be tidy again.

Later, with a tidy refrigerator~
The sweet potatoes I simply baked in the skins and served with butter. I used the beef broth as part of the liquid in broccoli cheese soup (leftover broccoli from dinner). I made a pan of brownies and frosted them with the leftover chocolate icing. Someone ate the rice plain. And finally, I made "Easy Lemon Pie" with the leftover lemonade concentrate. That was the favorite dish I made from these leftovers. It really is very easy: blend together 6 oz lemonade concentrate, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and an 8-oz tub of Cool Whip. Pour into a graham cracker crumb crust and chill. Yum!

No comments: