Thursday, January 31, 2008

Giving to Charity

Recently, I had the opportunity to hear Stephanie of Coupon Mom speak to the ladies of our church. She encourages us to clip coupons and shop sales to get the most for our dollars, not only to save money, but to collect food and personal care items for the needy. After listening to her, a group of us at church decided to implement Stephanie's ideas and pool our donations every week. Our church already helps out at a local homeless shelter, and we have had food drives for the shelter in the past. Now we decided to step it up a bit and donate every week. I looked in my pantry and bathroom, and I realized I have many things that cost me just pennies. If I allowed just $1 a week from my budget for charity, how much would I be able to put in the donations basket every week? There's my challenge: maximize my dollar and see how much I can get, every week, for the rest of the year. I asked the Lord to "grow" the dollar every week, and to give me wisdom in my purchases. So far, I'm off to a good start because every item in the photo above cost me less than $1, and several were free. Totaled, they add up to about $4, so that will catch me up to the beginning of the year. (Not that I need to catch up, but I just want to.)

No comments: