Sunday, January 13, 2008

Old Testament Snacks

The Professor taught the first class of a two-week introduction to the Minor Prophets this morning for adult Sunday School. He was concerned that the topic would be dry and boring and sleepy adults might doze off. How to keep them interested? He decided to create a 40-ft timeline to stretch across the floor to give them visual stimulation. And he wanted snacks. In the spirit of the day, I made "Old Testament" snacks:
Good King Muffins
Bad King Muffins
12 Tribes Cheese Torta
Locusts and Honey
Noah's Ark Cookies
Apple and Eve Juices

Now for the translation. Judah had 12 or so good kings. The mini muffins representing them were light colored (lemon flavored). And the 12 or so bad kings I represented with dark colored mini muffins (chocolate). The 12 Tribes Torta was made with 12 ingredients, which I served with sliced baguettes. Dates look a lot like locusts, eaten by Elijah in the OT. I used animal cookie cutters to cut out sugar cookie dough for Noah's Ark cookies. I bought two varieties of Apple and Eve brand fruit juice in the grocery store.

School desks for the table and a white board backdrop. (Note the dry erase marker on the rail!) The Middle Eastern-looking cloth came from the Professor's grandmother years ago. Baskets, brass trays, and wood bowls for serving. I hear it was all a hit, but I can't say for sure because I was helping in the nursery.

The doves and the zebras left from Noah's ark.

Many thanks to Meredith at Like Merchant Ships for the inspiration!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Oh, it looks beautiful! The woven throw was the perfect fabric for your theme.

Wish I could make sugar cookies as lovely as yours!